ISA’S AUTHENTIC MEXICAN COOKING CLASS
Isa’s Authentic Mexican Cooking School is the first culinary school teaching cooking classes in the heart of down town Playa del Carmen that is dedicated to the art of classic traditional Mexican cuisine. The school is is located in a home kitchen close to the local market where you will visit and learn about Mexican ingredients as well as purchase items that you will need to create almurezo (lunch!).
You will learn directly with Chef Isa who has over 10 years of cooking experience. Chef Isa is originally from Mexico City. She grew up in a household that loves food. And her fondest memories are of holiday cooking with her grandmother and mom, using the family “cazuela” to cook up delicious mole and making sopes.
Isa’s childhood love affair with food eventually became a career. As a result, she attended professional culinary school where her first job out of school was sous chef in Marie Callendar’s Restaurant. Following culinary school, Isa and her chef husband moved to Playa del Carmen to open their own restaurant, Elemento. Even though Chef Isa loves her life in the restaurant kitchen, she is more enthusiastic about sharing her recipes and teaching the traditions of Mexican cuisine to others.
In Isa’s culinary classes, the personal attention you will get is like having a private cooking class as she keeps her class setting to no more than 8 students. This class is designed for people you love to cook and learn about classic Mexican cuisine. All experience levels welcomed!
- Market Tour – Visit “DAC” Playa del Carmen’s highest quality local market. Find out where the local restaurants and hotels shop for the best produce in town. Learn about the local Mexican ingredients and how to choose the freshest & ripest items for your cooking class needs.
- Following the market tour, you will return to the kitchen to learn a variety of cooking techniques as well as the tools of a Mexican kitchen: molcajetes, tortilla press, cazuela, molinillo and more!
- Isa’s classes are catered to each students needs, experience levels & dietary requests (Please, if you have any specific food allergies, please provide that information at the time of booking the class so we can make appropriate substitutions, thank you in advance. Vegans and vegetarians are welcomed!). Class is both demonstration and hands-on.
- Class will include a traditional aqua frescas made from seasonal fruit, two different types of guacamole, two different salsas and corn tortillas. You also have a choice of a main dish – see our Main Dish Menu Options below. **NOTE: as a group you will choose ONE main dish to cook.
- Tequila/ Mezcal add-on option available upon request. Interested in learning a little something about tequila and mezcal? For an additional $5usd per person Isa is happy to include a lesson on two of Mexico’s most popular elixirs. She will teach you how to make a tequila based cocktail and how to properly take a shot of mezcal.
- Please come hungry! In this class you will create a full classic Mexican lunch.
*Please be advised that teens & children must have at least one adult participant. Additional Tequila Option: Additional $5usd per person
Main Dish Options
- Mole Poblano with Chicken (Puebla)
- Green Mole with Chicken, Pork or Fish (Mexico City)
- Tikin Xic Fish (Local, Regional Dish from the Yucatán)
- A la Talla Fish (Guerrero)
- Pescado a la Veracruzana (Veracruz)
- Cochinita or Chicken Pibil (Local, Regional Dish from the Yucatán)
- Tostadas – Choose One: Beef or Fish Salmagundi (Mexico City)
- Fish Ceviche (Caribbean)
- Chicken Tinga (Mexico City)
- Tacos al Pastor (México City)
- Chile Relleno with Cheese
- Chile Relleno with Shrimp and Cheese
- Chiles en Nogada (Puebla) ***only in season August, September and October
Photos From the Class
Still have questions?
This tour is a foodie favorite.
It’s been booked 10 times in the last month.
Real Mexico Experience – ….one of the best experiences…in Playa del Carmen…This is a class taught in home with ingredients bought at the local market and prepared by a true local and obvious master of her craft…I left Isa’s Cooking School feeling like I really got to Mexico a little better…This goes beyond the typical tourist excursion…”
“One-of-a-Kind Experience – Our family is made up of several cruise veterans and we were looking for something other than the usual boring touristy attractions that every port of call offered and we found this gem…we learned how to make the BEST Mexican food I’ve ever tasted…an amazing experience to treasure and a cookbook to enable me to relive it all and share with my friends back home.”
“A Delicious Afternoon – …one of the most unique things I’ve done on vacation…The food was out of this world and we were very proud to say that we made it!…I strongly recommend this to anyone who wants to get hands-on with their vacation and experience local culture…”